Baking is a popular makeup technique used by makeup artists to even out the tone of the face. The main cosmetic component is powder, applied to the skin in a thick layer.
What is Face Baking in Makeup?
The essence of the technique lies in the name. Translated from English, it means “baking”, “baking”, therefore, when applying make-up, tonal products are gradually layered on top of each other, fixing them with loose powder on top.
This makeup or masking technique has been known since ancient times:
- used by Cleopatra, aristocrats and rulers of ancient Egypt;
- such makeup was popular under Elizabeth the First;
- in the 20th century, baking was used by make-up artists and participants in travesty shows;
- today makeup is in demand among stars all over the world and among ordinary makeup artists, mass distribution began with Kim Kardashian (her stylist gave master classes).
What is baking for?
The technique is suitable for women and girls (sometimes men – transvestites, models, actors, etc.) who need to create the perfect appearance.
Baking is able to do the following:
- smooth the skin;
- give a matte finish
- hide imperfections – enlarged pores, small rashes, dark circles under the eyes, age spots, bruises, redness.
When not to do baking?
There are no direct contraindications, but it is undesirable to apply makeup for such problems:
- hypersensitive skin;
- tendency to rash and acne;
- excessive dryness of the epidermis.
When baking, a very thick layer of cosmetics is applied, because of which the skin does not breathe, therefore irritation occurs. It is not recommended to use make-up daily.
Baking pros and cons
Layered makeup has the following benefits:
- impeccable appearance, if you need to take a photo;
- ensures the durability of the make-up;
- easy to apply.
There are also disadvantages of technology:
- thick layer of decorative cosmetics;
- lack of natural effect;
- duration of the procedure (not suitable for express makeup).
What tools will be needed?
The set of tools for baking is small. You will need a dense brush (preferably natural) and a sponge that is intended for shading and contouring, so it should be multifunctional. Give preference to a teardrop-shaped sponge.
This beauty product is the basis for makeup, as it prepares and disinfects the epidermis. What is it needed for:
- smoothes the surface of the skin;
- helps to hide flaws;
- prolongs the durability of future makeup;
- facilitates the process of applying foundation.
This type of corrector, which is easily combined with foundation, has a delicate texture, paints over local problems, up to bruises and dark spots. Peculiarities:
- for baking, choose a concealer with a dense structure;
- the product can be applied to the entire surface of the face.
The cosmetic must be loose and transparent (transparent). This results in mattifying of the skin. But the main thing – there is no feeling of weighting makeup.
Beauty cosmetics offers 2 options for toning – cream and serum. Requirements:
- the texture is soft and delicate, without a tendency to form a film (otherwise it will be impossible to apply the necessary layer of powder);
- choose the same color as the skin to make the makeup look natural.
Refers to auxiliary cosmetics that brightens facial areas, creating a reflective effect. It hides skin imperfections. Additionally, the highlighter does the following:
- masks small wrinkles;
- corrects the skin relief;
- gives a fresh look to the face.
Baking is carried out in several stages:
- skin preparation;
- primer use;
- applying concealer;
- distribution of foundation;
- “baking” with powder;
- removal of powder residues;
- highlighter correction.
Before baking, it is recommended to use a soda scrub. It will cleanse the pores of impurities, restore the water-alkaline balance, and remove the remnants of dead cells of the epidermis. The soda scrub is made and used very simply:
- mix soda (1 tsp) with water (2 tbsp);
- apply the composition on the face with soft rubbing movements;
- massage the skin for a few minutes;
- rinse off with cool water.
Baking technique in makeup
- Cleanse your skin with a soda scrub. If you have recently done this procedure, use a lotion (for oily skin based on alcohol, for dry skin – an aqueous solution).
- Apply moisturizer. Wait 5-6 minutes, then remove the remnants of the product with a paper towel.
- Lubricate your face with primer. To do this, you can use a brush or apply the product with your fingers.
- Spread a thick layer of concealer over such areas – the central part of the forehead, cheekbones, chin, bridge of the nose, under the eyes – in the form of a triangle. Leave for a couple of minutes to absorb, then lightly moisten the sponge, blend the product. If you need to mask other areas, do so.
- Apply foundation. The layer should not be thick. This can be done in three ways – with your fingers, brush or sponge. In the latter case, the coverage will be the most even, but the consumption of funds will increase.
- With a brush, beat loose powder into the skin, first with a thin translucent layer, then with a thick one, which will create the effect of “baking”. Wait 10-15 minutes for the powder to combine with the rest of the makeup.
- Brush away any remaining powder with a clean brush.
- Apply highlighter, brightening such areas: under the eyes, cheekbones, chin. If necessary, contour the bridge of the nose, the area above the lips and the middle of the forehead. Carefully distribute the product so that there are no too clear boundaries.
- Approximate baking time is half an hour. As a result, you will get the perfect makeup.
Use only high-quality cosmetics for baking, as they provide makeup durability. It is impossible to evenly apply each layer with cheap analogues, and the powder will crumble in 2-3 hours.
TOP 10 best powders for baking
Powder is the main element of the baking makeup technique, so be careful about its choice. The following tools are ideal:
- Essence. It has matting properties, neutralizes oily sheen, and is easily distributed over the skin.
- Makeup Revolution. It is characterized by a brightening effect, fast connection with the base.
- Huda Beauty. It is distinguished by increased durability, light texture.
- Luminys Baked Face Powder Pupa. It consists of particles of different tones, therefore it is used for any skin color (powder takes on the tone of the face).
- Professional Loose Powder Translucent Max Factor. The fine dispersed structure evens out the epidermis, gives it a matte finish.
- Vitalumière Loose Powder Foundation Chanel. Gives a porcelain effect, looks natural.
- Benecos. Differs in airy texture, high content of mineral elements.
- High Definition Loose Powder Artdeco. Creates a porcelain glow as it contains reflective particles.
- Silver Shadow Compact Powder Chambor. Perfectly mattifies, saturates the skin with vitamins.
- Ben Nye Luxury Powder. Covers imperfections and gives a matte finish.
The presented powders are intended for baking, they do an excellent job with the task, they contain useful substances.
Secrets of “baking”
To keep your makeup lasting, use some tricks:
- do not allow the foundation to dry out (in this case, the funds will not adhere to each other);
- for dry skin, apply loose powder in a slightly moistened form;
- do not apply a heavy foundation structure;
- Apply a fixative to improve durability.
Tips from professional makeup artists
According to reviews, baking is popular, but it is difficult for beginners to master this technique right away, so you need to be guided by the recommendations of makeup artists:
- use powder and concealer 1-2 shades lighter than your skin;
- if you get too “doll” makeup, use blush;
- apply cosmetics on the eyes after foundation or in advance;
- you can avoid unnaturalness with the help of a dry rather than a liquid highlighter;
- according to the rules of contouring, highlighting emphasizes the beneficial sides, and darkening creates clear contours (if you need the latter, use a bronzer);
- Spread more powder on the cheekbones, nose, forehead and areas under the eyes.
For how to do powder baking, see the following video:
Baking is a universal makeup technique for fashion shows, photo shoots, parties and other events. In everyday life, such makeup does not look natural, especially in the daytime, so it is better to do it for an evening out.