Applying shadows is best for doing makeup with an emphasis on the eyes. Skillful actions visually correct the shape and fit of the eyes. Mastering the selection and application of shadows is necessary to emphasize your beauty and hide imperfections.
- How to choose shadows for the eyes?
- Selection of shadows according to the color type of appearance
- How to make up the eyes with shadows?
- Set of tools
- Dry application
- Wet application
- How to apply shadows depending on the type of eyes?
- close set
- Narrow and small
- With folded corners
- With swollen eyelids
- What tones are in trend?
- Interesting make-up options
- big eye effect
- smokey ice
- Relief makeup
- Nude make-up
- Day makeup
- evening make-up
- Helpful Hints
- How to make makeup last longer?
- Treatment of the moving eyelid
- Decoration of internal corners
- Coloring of outer corners
- Shading shadows
- How to make up eyes with two colors of shadows?
- How to make up the eyes with shadows of the same color?
How to choose shadows for the eyes?
When selecting the color of the shadows to the color of the iris, the principles of color are used. Harmonious pairs of colors are on opposite sides of the color wheel: yellow-violet, red-green, blue-orange. Makeup with shades of paired colors makes the iris brighter and more contrasting.
A harmonious combination of eye color and shade applied shadows:
|eye color||Shadow color|
|Blue eyes||peach, shades of brown|
|green eyes||peach, brick, purple|
|Brown eyes||green, purple|
|grey-blue eyes||when applying gray shadows, the eyes appear blue, blue – gray|
|hazel green eyes||when applying brown shadows, the eyes appear green, green – brown|
|black eyes||light shades of any color, shiny shadows|
Selection of shadows according to the color type of appearance
The combination of colors of the skin of the face, eyes, hair, eyebrows and the degree of their contrast to each other determine the 4 main color types of appearance. The eye color of different color types may be the same, but the recommendations for choosing shadows are different.
A harmonious combination of the color type of appearance and the color of the shadows:
|Color type||Features of the color type||Shadow color|
|Winter||The most contrasting type of appearance. Dark hair, fair skin with cool undertones. Eyes – brown, black, blue.||Green, purple, shades of brown, pale pink, pistachio, shimmer shades.|
|Spring||Hair with a golden sheen, skin with a slight tint of tan. Eyes – light blue, light green, light hazel.||Grey-beige, tan, light taupe|
|Summer||The most neutral color type. Hair – ash-blond, skin – light pink. Eyes – gray, blue, green. Eyebrows are contrasting.||Gray, blue, silver, green, pale pink, lilac|
|Autumn||Hair – red or blond with an active orange overflow. Eyes – light brown, green.||bronze, blue, purple|
The variety of shades makes it possible to choose a palette of one color scheme for any color type.
Let’s take emerald makeup as an example. Brunettes choose rich emerald, blondes choose light shades of spring foliage, brown-haired women choose marsh-colored eye shadow, redheads choose any of the 376 shades of green in the Pantone palette.
How to make up the eyes with shadows?
To make the makeup harmonious, think over a few points. The quality of the brushes affects the density of application and shading. The brightness of the result, the ease of shading and the durability of the makeup depend on the texture of the shadows.
Set of tools
Prepare rounded and flat brushes with natural squirrel and sable bristles or synthetic ones made of nylon and taklon. They are soft and do not injure the skin of the eyelids.
Without preparation, it will not work to apply high-quality shadows. The skin of the eyelids is very thin, capillaries or blue are visible through it. Without them, the color of the shadows will “lie down clean”. Remove excess fat, too, so that the shadows do not gather in the crease.
The final moment of preparation will provide easy shading:
- Apply a nude or white eyeshadow base to the entire lid.
- Apply a special tool or foundation in a thin layer.
- Lightly powder the movable eyelid.
Dry shadows are applied in a thin layer. It looks natural on the eyes and allows you to create beautiful color gradients. The correct sequence of actions and daily practice give a good result and freedom of imagination.
- With a flat natural brush, apply light shadows in a dense layer to the entire moving eyelid. You can use matte and pearl shades. This will emphasize the natural volume of the eyes and make them brighter.
- Emphasize the deepening of the eyes. To do this, apply dark shadows with a matte texture to the outer corners of the moving eyelids. It is important not to use mother-of-pearl shadows.
- With a flat small brush, apply dark shadows to the outer third of the lower eyelid.
- Erase the obvious border of the transition from light shadows to dark ones. To do this, apply an intermediate color on the upper eyelid and on the free space of the lower eyelid. You can use matte shadows and shadows with glitter.
- Emphasize the deepening of the crease of the upper eyelid. To do this, work out the orbital line with a matte shade. Choose a color darker than the skin tone, but lighter than the darkest eyeshadow color in the outer corner of the eye. Use a domed brush. The stage is especially important for swollen or hanging eyelids.
- Apply light shadows to the inner corners of the eyes and under the eyebrows. You will get the effect of an open look. The eyes will appear larger.
Professional makeup artists use wet eyeshadow application. As a result, the intensity of the color increases, and the make-up lasts a long time.
Applying shadows with a wet method is often used to create evening and festive makeup.
The technology includes three stages:
- Spread a special primer over the skin of the eyelids. This tool makes the skin smooth, and make-up falls evenly.
- Moisten the brush with water, wring it out lightly. Type some shadows on the tool.
- Work with a brush with light dotted movements. Blend the borders between the colors.
How to apply shadows depending on the type of eyes?
The shape and position of the eyes may not correspond to ideal ideas of beauty. With the help of applying shadows, it is possible to correct the shortcomings and draw attention to the advantages.
Shadows visually expand the distance between the eyes, if it is less than the length of the eye. Light shadows are applied from the inner edge of the eyelid to the middle, dark shadows are applied from the outer edge of the eyelid to the middle. The border between them is carefully shaded.
Such eyes seem sunken, and the upper movable eyelid is almost invisible. When creating makeup, the eyes are “raised” to the fore, so you can’t add dark shadows to the crease of the eyelid.
Consider important points when making up deep-set eyes:
- apply light shadows on the entire moving eyelid, the outer corner of the eye, on the area under the eyebrow;
- shade the shadows of an intermediate shade in the area above the crease of the upper eyelid and along the orbital line;
- Apply the darkest shade along the upper lash line and into the outer corner of the eye.
When applying shadows on large eyes, use two shades at once. The transition of colors will be noticeable on the moving eyelid – the anatomy of large eyes allows this.
It is not necessary to highlight such eyes with light shadows. It is better to emphasize their brightness with dark shades, using the basics of color.
Use medium and dark shades. Light colors are applied only under the eyebrow. Avoid pearlescent eyeshadows. Dark shadows are used as accents in the corners of the eyes and as an eyeliner along the lash line.
The moving eyelid is stained with a light shade. A dark color is applied to the crease of the eyelid and removed almost to the very eyebrows. Visually, this makes the eyes deeper.
Narrow and small
You can emphasize the beauty of the eyes of the Asian type by changing the direction of the brush when blending the shadows. Narrow eye coloring technique:
- Apply light shades of shadows on the upper eyelid and blend to the very eyebrows.
- Apply one dark color along the lash line.
- Blend it from bottom to top. The color should diffuse gently towards the brows.
With folded corners
Dark shadows are not applied to the inner corners of the eyes. The outer corners are darkened and feathered up. Choose muted pastel shades of shadows.
With swollen eyelids
Use light and medium shades of shadows. If you do not close your eyes when applying shadows, it is easier to navigate in which particular area of \u200b\u200bthe eyelid above the crease it is better to do shading.
What tones are in trend?
Fashion shows 2020 show a combination of contrasting shades of shadows. At the same time, makeup artists often do not resort to thorough shading, keeping clearly demarcated color spots on the eyelids.
The most fashionable tones and color combinations:
- red, orange, yellow;
- pink, lilac;
- red, yellow, green neon;
- smoky grey;
Interesting make-up options
To create any make-up options, they use the basic technology of applying shadows and correctly choose shades.
big eye effect
It is achieved by actively applying color above the lash line from the middle to the outer edge of the eyes. A light accent is placed on the widest part of the eyes – the center of the upper eyelid. From a light accent, shading is done along the upper eyelids.
Another way to create the effect of big eyes is to apply light shadows to match the eyes and a darker shade of the same shadows in the area of the creases of the upper eyelids.
A technique that creates a smooth transition from lighter to darker shades. Creates a smoke effect. The classic version is performed in dark gray and black colors. Modern rules allow the use of any colors.
You will need two brushes: the first is for applying shadows, the second is for blending them. The lightest shades are applied to the inner corners of the eyes, the darkest to the outer. The shade of average intensity is placed in the crease of the eyelid.
Much attention is paid to shading. They make sure that there are no clear boundaries between the shades. At the outer corners of the eyes, smokey should smoothly transition to the skin tone of the face.
Universal technique. Creates softness, smoky, emphasizes the natural contour of the eyes. Multi-layered application of shadows creates volume.
5 steps to create relief makeup:
- Apply dark powder texture shadows to the outer corner of the lower eyelid.
- Draw a third angle from the outside, extend the line up until it meets the orbital line of the eye. Use a flat brush.
- On the moving eyelid, between the dark and light tone of the shadows, blend another color to hide the border line from the outer corner to the inner. With this tone, paint over the line under the lower lashes.
- Pick a matte shade that is darker than your skin tone but lighter than the darkest color in the outer corner of your eye. Emphasize the deepening of the crease of the moving eyelid.
- Apply light shadow to the inner corner of the eye and under the eyebrow.
It is also called “makeup without makeup”. Performed with light shadows. Cosmetics are applied in a thin layer, shades with a minimum amount of pigment are selected.
Shadows of beige or light brown shades create the effect of unpainted eyes. If you use liquid shades of natural shades, the eyes look brighter.
Familiar make-up techniques are used to create daytime makeup. If, for example, you like smokey ice, make it with beige, soft pink, peach shades of shadows.
Beige makeup does not go out of fashion and suits all color types. Used as a base for other make-ups. To make it the main one in your style, choose several shades of beige shadows.
It takes into account:
- dress style;
- features of the event.
Waterproof shadows of several saturated colors, contrasting shades are used. Shining textures, sequins, shimmer, rhinestones – everything is applicable in the evening make-up. It is important to clearly work out the ciliary edge.
To create a beautiful eye makeup and keep it for the whole day, professional makeup artists use special technologies.
How to make makeup last longer?
To keep the applied shadows for the whole day, use special products in the correct sequence:
- Foundation for eyelids.
- The shadows themselves.
Shadows tend to crumble. If you apply them in several thin layers, they last a long time.
Treatment of the moving eyelid
Prepare your skin for eye shadow application so that it does not roll in the crease of the moving eyelid:
- If the skin on the eyelids is oily, clean it with micellar water, wash your face, and dry your face with a napkin.
- Apply primer to your eyelids.
- Shadows “drive” into the skin. Use the stippling technique – light patting movements of the fingers.
- Set eye shadow with setting spray.
Decoration of internal corners
The inner corners of the eyes serve as a guide for determining the physiological features of the face. Deviations from ideal proportions are corrected by makeup:
- with close-set eyes, the inner corners are brightened;
- with wide-set eyes, they are darkened;
- with creative makeup, bright or shiny shadows are applied to the inner corners of the eyes.
Coloring of outer corners
Applying shadows to the outer corners of the eyes correct their shape. According to the canons of beauty, almond-shaped eyes are considered ideal.
Makeup technique to create it:
- on round eyes, the darkest color is applied in the center of the upper eyelid and shaded to the outer corner;
- a neutral color is applied to almond-shaped eyes along the crease of the upper eyelid, and the eyelid above the crease closer to the outer corner of the eyes is emphasized with a dark color;
- on deep-set eyes, the darkest shade is applied to the crease of the eyelid and the outer corners of the eyes, smoothly blending the color to the eyebrow line.
The quality of shading creates the overall impression of makeup. When the colors of the shadows smoothly transition into each other without clear boundaries, this indicates a high class of work.
- Apply a primer to the eyelids, lightly powder it. Only then work with shadows.
- Blend only the borders of color transitions, do not touch the main areas of color with a brush once again.
- Choose the appropriate shadows: matte, satin, mother-of-pearl.
- Apply light mother-of-pearl in a thin bottom layer to the shading area. Matte shadows blend easily and quickly on it.
- Work with the brush lightly, in one direction. Hold the brush not like a writing pen, but close to the pile so that the pressure is minimal.
- To blend black and dark shadows, use a transitional shade on the border of contact.
How to make up eyes with two colors of shadows?
If you only want to use two colors, choose contrasting colors. The application technique is called “bird”:
- Prepare the right brushes:
- Brush “barrel” with artificial bristles for applying shadows.
- A flat, beveled brush with artificial bristles to work out the ciliary edge.
- Soft brush with natural bristles for blending.
- Apply a light shade on the inside of the eyelid and under the eyebrow.
- On the outside of the eye, apply dark color to the crease of the eyelid and to the lash line. Connect these lines to make a bird.
How to make up the eyes with shadows of the same color?
It is possible to create makeup with shadows of the same color. These should be nude shades or shades of medium intensity: gray, brown, blue, green.
Features of creating one-color eye makeup, depending on the selected shade:
- Apply nude shadow all over the upper eyelid. Work out the outer corner of the lower eyelid. This will create the impression of a calm, clean look, focusing on the eyelashes.
- Apply dark shadows in several layers on the areas of the eyes with the desired darkening. Blend thoroughly.
- Glitter shadows emphasize the eyes without additional colors. Apply as you choose: all over the upper eyelid, along the lash line, or just the lower eyelid.
Eyeshadows are a highly sought-after makeup product. With their help, makeup artists successfully work out the details and create the mood of the image. To create bright beautiful make-ups, choose the right tone and follow the simple recommendations of experts.